What is the Human Values Foundation?
The Human Values Foundation (HVF) supplies materials helping to embed a positive values culture in schools. It was formed in 1995 to encourage, promote and develop human values among young people through its educational programmes, publications, exhibitions, conferences and staff exploration sessions. The HVF is a non-denominational and independent body, which does not represent or work on behalf of any particular religion or spiritual interest. It is a registered charity and a private company, limited by guarantee. The HVF enjoys close links with national education bodies in the UK.
See how we help teachers and schools deliver the highest quality modern education
> What is the Human Values Foundation?
> THE BIG THINK - STEPPING STONES FOR THE FLOURISHING OF HUMANITY
Our vision is that young people among all sections of the community, both in the UK and also overseas, will imbibe and practise human values so as to become responsible, happy, fulfilled members of society and aspire to human excellence.
Our mission is to develop, promote and encourage an uplifting education process for children, teachers and all who look after young people; to provide universal resources that foster lasting values, which contribute to an integrated, ethical, moral, emotional, social and spiritual education.
See how we help teachers nurture their pupils as rounded young citizens: Cross-curricular Learning
• We produce and promote throughout the world, empowering user-friendly programmes, with our latest called, “THE BIG THINK for ages 4 to 11 (the-big-think.org). All our programmes are universal, non-denominational and are derived from the insights of great philosophers and thinkers. They are based on the fundamental belief that all people are intrinsically worthy and want to live happily in a safe, secure environment.
• Through courses, conferences, exhibitions and publications we support schools, parents/carers and educationists who want to implement values-enhanced education programmes that help to maximise the chances of young people leading happy, successful and healthy lives.
• We inspire young people to develop self-esteem, become motivated, creative and organised; to find a purpose in life; live in harmony with others; show compassion and respect; develop discernment; be open to new and different ideas and co-operate with others. We help young people realise that human values are our ZEST for life and that we are what we value and that we express our priorities through our values. In offering resources to develop these skills, we help to bring about an emotional and social wellbeing, benefiting not only those actively practising the values but the wider community too.
• We assist teachers who are striving to develop and enhance the quality of the education process and enrich the experiences of the children they teach. This in turn contributes to the general community because of the admirable qualities in our young citizens.
See how we help schools balance academic learning with skills for life learning: Empowering Children For Life.
• We help everyone recognise that human values lie at the heart of a school’s vision of itself as a small community; to assist schools as they develop the ETHOS that human values help to uphold the highest ideals to which human beings can aspire, or as one pupil said, “They help me to be the best person I can possibly be”.
See why teachers and children alike are so excited about The Big Think: 10 reasons for The Big Think's appeal.
S P I E S - agents of change
Our engaging, blended-learning programmes are designed to improve learning outcomes, develop strong character traits and enable pupils to flourish by nurturing these essential life skills:
Values Education - is HOLISTIC, UP-SKILLING EDUCATION that lays informed foundations so that young people can enjoy fully functioning throughout their school careers and on into their adult lives.
Values Intelligence (VI) - is real intelligence. Applying it means young people can live smarter due to the enhanced quality of their well-considered, values-based thinking, decision-making and actions.
VALUES LITERACY enhances LIFE PROFICIENCY.
* Why Values Education is gaining such importance
* 10 reasons why PSHE teachers like The Big Think